Are you searching for current information on how to process your drivers license renewal without stress? If your answer is yes, you are at the right place as this article aims to explain how to process your driver’s license in less than an hour.
Drivers License Renewal – An Introduction
Vehicles are arguably the most common means of transportation globally, and people have been driving cars since time immemorial.
While the recent advances in science and technology have led to the development of self-driving cars or vehicles with auto-drive features, there are hardly any of these cars in Nigeria, so cars are still driven by people here.
To drive a car on Nigerian roads these days and for a long time now, you need to have ‘a driver’s license.’
It is a card-like document that symbolizes legality and the ability to drive safely on the road.
Think of it as a permit to drive a vehicle on the road.
You have to perform a drivers license renewal from time to time to keep it valid.
This article will teach you how to renew drivers license in Nigeria.
Drivers License Renewal
A driver’s license is often issued with an expiry date – a date after which the license becomes invalid.
The Federal Road Safety Commission Act states that a standard national driver’s license remains valid only four years after it was issued.
After four years, you are required to apply for a renewal.
Many individuals are conflicted on how to go about driver’s license renewal in Nigeria, while others think it is an overly stressful process.
However, we say it is possible to carry out a Nigerian drivers license renewal without going through much stress and this article will explain how.
How to Process your Drivers License Renewal
According to the Federal Road Safety Corps (FRSC), the holder of a valid Nigerian driver’s license may apply for and obtain a license renewal from 30 days before the expiry of the license.
This means that you are allowed to apply for license renewal 30 days before the current one expires.
Many people ask the question “How do I renew my driver’s license in Nigeria?” and never get clear answers.
The process for a renewal is quite simple.
Here’s how to go about your drivers license renewal:
- Visit https://www.nigeriadriverslicence.org/ and click on the “renew” option on the website.
- Afterward, click on the “Apply” option at the bottom left corner of the box.
- A short message box may be displayed on your screen. Just ignore it and click on “I understand, let me continue” to proceed.
- Next, you will be asked to type in your driver’s license number and date of birth. Fill the spaces provided correctly. You may also be asked to complete a Google captcha task. Complete as required.
- Upon correctly filling the required spaces, you will gain access to the application form. Complete as required.
- Make payments for license renewal at any of the designated banks or through online banking.
- Confirm the payment
- Print your receipts and proceed to the VIO or drivers licensing center.
- Visit your nearest FRSC driver’s license center for biometric capture
- If everything goes well, you should be able to obtain a temporary driver’s license which is valid for 60 days.
- You will be contacted when your new driver’s license is ready for pick up.
The FRSC drivers license renewal fee is 6,350 naira for a 3-year license, and 10,350 naira for a 5-year license.
Kindly note that the driver’s license application process differs from the renewal of the driver’s license process.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) on Renewal of Drivers License
How to do drivers license verification?
Many individuals in Nigeria today, are walking around with fake driver’s licenses.
Some are well aware of this fact, while others have no clue.
Either way, carrying around a fake driver’s license is a crime in the Federal Republic of Nigeria, and the punishment that comes with it is quite hefty.
This is why it important for you to verify the legitimacy of your driver’s license.
Here’s how you can do drivers license verification in a few simple steps:
- To carry out a Nigerian driver’s license verification, you need to visit the official website for driver’s license application and renewal https://www.nigeriadriverslicence.org/. This is to check if your license is listed in their database or not.
- Click on “renew” for an expired driver’s license, and “re-issue” for a valid driver’s license.
- Afterward, click on the “Apply” option at the bottom left corner of the box displayed on your screen.
- You may receive a short message box on your screen. Just ignore it and click on “I understand, let me continue” to proceed.
- Next, you will be asked to type in your driver’s license number and date of birth. Fill the spaces provided correctly. You may also be asked to complete a Google captcha task. Complete that as required too. Then, click on “Search”
- If the information linked to your driver’s license number is displayed, you have a valid driver’s license. If you receive an error message or nothing is displayed, then you are holding a fake driver’s license. Double-check the driver’s license number you typed in to be sure.
Who is responsible for road safety in Nigeria?
The Federal Road Safety Corps (FRSC) is responsible for road safety in Nigeria.
Everyone (drivers, pedestrians, the police, government, and so on) should be responsible for road safety in Nigeria.
However, the designated body responsible for Nigerian road safety is the Federal Road Safety Corps (FRSC), currently led by Mr. Boboye Olayemi Oyeyemi.
How to get an international driver’s license in Nigeria
A simple driver’s license is enough if you want to drive within the borders of Nigeria.
However, if you’re thinking of moving abroad and drive a car over there, you will need to get an international driver’s license.
With an international driver’s license, you no longer have to undergo driving tests abroad.
It can also serve as a valid means of identification internationally.
If you already have a driver’s license, then the process of getting an international driver’s license in Nigeria is quite simple:
- Write an application letter for the International driver’s Permit. Make sure you indicate the reason for the driving permit and the country in which you are going to be using it.
- Obtain an application form from the Central Motor Registry or the Federal Ministry of Labour and Productivity and fill it as required.
- Pay for all the prescribed fees, and print the receipts.
- Submit the application letter, application form, and all required documents (Nigerian driver’s license, recent passport photographs, and scanned copy of your signature). You will be required to provide proof of payment (your receipts should come in handy.)
- Your application with be reviewed by relevant authorities. After reviewing and verifying all your details, your international driving permit will be processed.
- After processing the permit, it will be sent to the Interpol office of the Nigerian Police Force (NPF) who will then issue it to you.
If you do not have your Federal Road Safety Commission driver’s license yet, you will need to go through a different process.
Here’s how to go about it:
- Complete a driver’s education course at an accredited driving school in your area.
- Apply for a driving license at the DLC (Driver’s License Centre) via an online application form.
- Make all due payments for both provisional and permanent driving permits, as well as the Vehicle Inspection Office (VIO) theory and practical course materials.
- Attend and complete the theory and practical driving tests under the supervision of the VIO.
- If you pass the tests, you will be issued a provisional driving permit also known as a certificate of competence
- You shall be updated within the next 60 days on when your permanent driving permit is ready for pick up.
How much is driver’s license in Nigeria?
The cost of driver’s license in Nigeria depends on the validity period.
The official cost for driver’s license renewal in Nigeria is 6,350 for a 3-year license and 10,350 for a 5-year license.
However, Nigerian driver’s license prices may spike due to the nature of how things are done in the country.
Is there a grace period for renewing a drivers license in Nigeria?
NO, there is no grace period for renewing a drivers license in Nigeria.
There is no official grace period for an expired vehicle license in Nigeria.
This is why owners of valid driver’s license in Nigeria are allowed to start the renewal process 30 days before the expiry of the one in hand.
After completing the renewal process, a temporary driver’s license will be issued and it will be valid.
Any driver without a valid driving license in Nigeria can be apprehended and arrested at any point in time, irrespective of the expiry date of their driver’s license.
What is the full meaning of FRSC?
The full meaning of FRSC is Federal Road Safety Commission.
The officers that maintain road safety on the road are the ‘Corps’.
How long does it take to get a new drivers license in Nigeria?
2 to 3 months
Upon renewal, temporary driver’s licenses are issued almost immediately.
However, to get a permanent driver’s license may take up to 2-3 months.
What is the code to check a driver’s license in Nigeria?
“NDL STATUS [License number]” to 33811
Gone are the days when you have to make one or two trips to the FRSC office to check the status of your driver’s license in Nigeria.
Now you can simply check using a code via phone number.
Simply text “NDL STATUS [License number]” to 33811.
For example “NDL STATUS AAR74678AB31” to 33811.
You will receive a message with all the information on your driver’s license.
Note that this activity costs 50 naira, which is a better price to pay than visiting an FRSC office multiple times.
How much does it cost to renew a drivers license in Nigeria?
The official cost to renew driver’s license in Nigeria is 6,350 for a 3-year license and 10,350 for a 5-year license.
Unfortunately, some corrupt officials may charge higher than these amounts to renew driver’s licenses for Nigerian drivers.
How do I check my driver’s license status in Nigeria?
You can check your driver’s license status by simply texting “NDL STATUS [License number]” to 33811.
For example: NDL STATUS FG1253AABDH to 33811.
This activity will cost 50 naira.
After successfully sending the message, you will receive a message bearing your driver’s license status
How to check if driver’s license is ready for collection in Nigeria
It may take quite a long time for your permanent driver’s license to be ready for collection in Nigeria.
So, you cannot keep on making multiple visits to the FRSC to confirm it you can pick it up.
This is why you can now check if your driver’s license is ready through your phone.
Simply text “NDL STATUS [License number]” to 33811.
For example: NDL STATUS AN3789AA57BDH to 33811.
You will receive a message telling you if your license is ready.
How much is 5 years driver’s license renewal in Nigeria?
The cost of a 5-year driver’s license renewal in Nigeria is 10,350 naira.
How much is vehicle license renewal in Lagos?
Between 3,000 and 8,000 naira.
A vehicle license is another important document that every driver on Nigerian roads should have.
The first one issued after the first vehicle registration in Nigeria lasts for only 4 years, after which it will need to be renewed.
The cost of vehicle license renewal may differ based on the type of vehicle in question.
However, it costs between 3,000 to 8,000 naira.
This price range covers all vehicle types from motorcycle/tricycles to 30-ton trucks.
Breakdown of Average Price:
- Motorcycle/tricycle: 3,000 naira
- Saloon car Med. (1.4L to 1.9L): 3,400 naira
- Saloon car Med. (2.0L to 2.6L): 4,000 naira
- SUV/Jeep/Bus/Pick-up: 5,000 naira
- Coaster Bus: 7,400 naira
- Mini Trucks/ Trucks 15 tons (Tippers): 7,800 naira
- Trucks 20 tons (6-10 tyres): 7,800 naira
- Trucks 30 tons (Trailers 10+ tyres): 7,800 naira
What is the cost of vehicle registration in Lagos?
The cost of vehicle registration in Lagos is almost the same as the cost of vehicle registration anywhere in Nigeria.
Depending on the type of vehicle, type of insurance, and type of plate number, the cost of vehicle registration in Nigeria may fall between 45,000 naira and 160,000 naira.
How to do Lagos plate number verification in Nigeria
All vehicles registered under the FRSC are issued a registration number, which is boldly inscribed on a metal plate attached to the front and back of the vehicle.
This number on the metal plate is what is known as the plate number.
The need to conduct plate number verification may come up at any time, and it is best to know exactly how to do it.
Here’s how to conduct a plate number verification in Nigeria:
- Visit https://nvis.frsc.gov.ng/VehicleManagement/VerifyPlateNo
- Input the plate number to be verified into the space provided on the website
- Click on submit
- If the plate number is legit, every piece of information relating to the vehicle with the plate number will be displayed. If this doesn’t happen, then the plate number is a fake one and you may run into trouble because of that.
You can also conduct number plate verification through text.
Simply text “Verify [your plate number]” to 33324.
For example, text Verify FKJ3837299 and send it to 33324 like you would send a normal text message.
Do not add any space or special characters to the plate number.
You should receive a message bearing information about the vehicle whose plate number you sent if the plate number is legit.
If the plate number is illegal, you will receive an invalid or error message instead.
These methods will not only work for Lagos state plate number verification, but number plate verification of any state in Nigeria.
They will also work for vehicle number verification and to check vehicle registration numbers.
Either of these methods can be used to check car number plate owners too.
How to conduct vehicle license verification in Nigeria
The process of carrying out vehicle license registration in Nigeria is quite simple.
All you need is an internet-enabled phone or computer system and your vehicle’s plate number.
- Simply visit https://verify.autoreg.ng/, the vehicle license registration portal.
- Input your vehicle’s plate number in the space provided and click on “Search.”
- If your plate number is legit, all information about your vehicle will be displayed and your license will be verified as legit too.
Conclusion on Drivers License Verification
As a driver, a valid driver’s license in Nigeria will save you a lot of unwarranted stress and harassment by uniformed government officials.
It is a must-have for every driver on Nigerian roads, so you should get yours renewed as soon as the current one expires.
The drivers license renewal process can be stress-free and this article has just explained how to go about it.
Kindly hit the share button to share this post.
Search this Blog
- Africa (105)
- Nigeria (105)
- General Information (62)
- North Central (9)
- North East (5)
- North West (1)
- South East (13)
- South South (13)
- South West (20)
- Nigeria (105)
- 21 Best Betting Sites in Nigeria; 2021 Guide (Fast Cashout, Big Odds, & Bonuses)
- Best Musician in Nigeria (Surprising Top 15)
- Top Best Construction Companies in Lagos (Offices, Websites, CEOs & Projects)
- Richest Fuji Musician in Nigeria (Top 13 Updated)
- App Developers in Nigeria (Freelancers & Agencies Updated).
- How to Check your MTN number; Important MTN USSD Codes
- How to Transfer Airtime on Airtel (2021 Latest Update)
- How to Check My Glo Number with USSD (2021); All Codes for Glo Network
- Cost of Building & Roofing 3 Bedroom Flat in Nigeria (July 2021 Update)
- Top 11 Nigerian Music Downloader Sites for Latest Songs (2021 Updated)